Faculty Jurisdiction encourages churches to combine the best of their heritage with imaginative and faith-based solutions that serve their communities and preserves the spirituality, fabric and contents of their buildings for future generations.


Faculty Jurisdiction applies to all consecrated churches and churchyards, whether or not they are listed. It extends to un-consecrated land surrounding, or adjacent or ancillary, to a church, and to certain buildings which, though un-consecrated, are licensed by the bishop for public worship.

Faculty Jurisdiction is the Church’s equivalent of planning permission. Without this ecclesiastical exemption from the secular planning legislation many changes to church buildings that facilitate growth would simply not be possible. This is why the faculty process needs to be supported and followed by all churches so that all may continue to evolve and meet the needs of those they serve.

  • It ensures that the long-term interests of parishioners, past, present and future are served.
  •  It avoids changes which may quickly fall out of fashion or are undertaken without due consideration to the long-term growth and benefit of the church.
  •  Any person carrying out works without a faculty may be liable to a civil action for trespass to land or goods and a criminal prosecution under the Criminal damage Act 1971.
  •  A PCC would equally be in breach of trust if it dissipated its funds on the cost of works not authorised by a faculty.


DACs Role

The role of the DAC is to inform the Chancellor, or the Archdeacon for works under List B, of its opinion as to the impact of proposals upon a building, the quality of execution and their fitness for purpose. For faculty applications, the Chancellor and parish are provided with a Notification of Advice setting out those views. The Chancellor takes them into consideration when deciding if a faculty should be granted. The Notification may contain provisos or conditions that the parish must address. It is only when a faculty is granted that works may commence.

DACs will also help parishes to discern and meet the changing demands of liturgy and wider use of their buildings whist retaining and valuing aspects of its fabric which speak of a wider heritage and identity. They will encourage the parish to gain a full understanding of its building, the needs of its congregation and wider population and to work with their architect exploring their options and developing a scheme that is feasible, achievable and sustainable

Take time to check through your application. Remember that many of those who read it will not know your church so it must be self-explanatory.   Your quinquennial inspector (QI) and the DAC can be contacted throughout the process for help with completing the forms.


It can be expensive to work with professionals, but it can be far more costly to work with amateurs.


Red Adair

Faculty or List B?

Any alteration, repair, or extension to a church building, or any change to the contents of a church, whether by addition or removal of items, needs to be legally approved by the granting of a Faculty or written approval from the Archdeacon under the Schedule of List A or B Minor Works.

Lists A and B detail a catalogue of minor works that may be carried out without a faculty. They must cost less than £10,000 and have usually been cited in your Quinquennial Report. To see if this option is available to you refer to the List A and B webpage for more information and instructions.

A faculty is required if your proposal is not itemised under Lists A or B. Consulting the DAC at an early stage can help you develop your ideas, provide examples to visit, deal with potential snags and ensure as much as possible the smooth progression from concept to completion. A Request for Advice enables the DAC to visit you and your church and explore either your initial ideas or help in developing your project.


Faculty Forms and Online Applications

Faculties and List B applications may now be submitted using the Online Faculty System.

  • To register applicants need to be on the diocesan database or provide a PCC resolution supporting nomination to this role on their behalf.
  • Please ensure you select your church from the list provided on the registration page
  • Advice on how to register can be found here
  • Guidance on completing the online faculty form here
  • A complete manual on the online faculty system for parishes is here


  • Advice Application - request to the DAC for feedback, advice or a visit on either complex projects or those where a variety of solutions may present themselves.


All faculty applications must include the following three forms:

  • Form 1A - Standard information about your church which changes only infrequently

  • Form 3A - Faculty Petition (application setting out details of your proposal, consultations, funding, contractors, PCC approval, etc
  • Form 4A - Public Notice describing the work and a public place where the plans may be viewed

In addition to these 3 key forms, a range of other information will be needed so that it is understood exactly what is going to happen, how and why. This information may often include quotations, architect’s specifications, plans, photographs, and contractors' experience and details.   Large projects will additionally require comments from amenity bodies such as Historic England, the Victorian Society and Church Buildings Council, a statement of significance and statement of needs and possibly secular planning permission if the proposal changes the external appearance of the church.

All applications require a PCC resolution specifically referring to the proposal and stating the votes in favour/abstain/against and details of the attendance on the day of the vote.

If following receipt of a faculty, there is a need to change  any terms such as methods or materials, it is essential that a variation to the faculty is sought. Confirmatory or retrospective faculties cannot be guaranteed  in which case, the PCC, architect, or other authorising person may be required to pay for remedial works. It is both very unwise and unlawful, as well as potentially very costly, to commence works until the Faculty has been sealed or to carry out works outside of, or to a different specification from, the Faculty until a variation has been granted by the Court. Read: Breach of Faculty Conditions.


If your proposal includes excavation within the church or churchyard, it is probable that a Watching Archaeological Brief will need to be carried out under the supervision of an archaeological contractor. A list of contractors can be found on the South Yorkshire Archaeology Service website



The works described on petitions must be the same as those that appear on the public notice. Wording in petitions is to be self-contained and comprehensible and comprehensive without reference to other documents, drawings or specifications or the like, so that it makes sense to the reader of the public notice, who will have no immediate access to the specification or drawings

Neutral Citation Number: [2018] ECC Der 2

In the Consistory Court of the Diocese of Derby in the matter of Killamarsh St Giles and in the matter of a petition dated 13th March 2018



Checklist of forms and information to submit to the DAC

  • Standard Information Form 1A
  • Faculty Petition Form 3A
  • Copy of the requisite completed Public Notice (4A) following display inside and outside the church
  • DAC Notification of Advice
  • PCC resolution confirming its agreement that the work (as detailed) should be carried out and that a faculty should be obtained
  • PCC resolution addressing any provisos in the DAC Notification of Advice
  • Response from insurers regarding cover during works
  • Statement of Significance and Needs
  • Details, specification documents and plans, photographs, drawings and other information not already supplied
  • Any estimates of cost including quotes from contractors on headed email or letter
  • Any correspondence with relevant amenity bodies Church Buildings Council (CBC), Historic England, Society for Protection of Ancient Monuments (SPAB), Georgian Society, Victorian Society, C20th Society, Ancient Monument Society, Council for British Archaeology and
  • Any other documents the petitioners think it appropriate or necessary for the Chancellor to have before her.

Checklist for faculty applications

List of common errors in applications



This information is submitted to the DAC who will consider the application at the next available meeting.When determining their view on major projects DACs must refer to the Alkmund Questions which state that the greater the level of intervention in a building, the greater is the need for benefit to be demonstrated. They will issue a Notification of Advice which is sent  to the parish and the Chancellor so that the views of relevant experts are known. You will be contacted with one of the following outcomes:

  • Informal contact suggesting further work/visit and advice from the DAC and/or amenity bodies/amendments or modifications to progress the application - common with major projects
  • A Notification of Advice approving your application
  • A Notification of Advice approving your application with proviso(s) that need to be addressed
  • A Notification of Advice with no objection –used to indicate that the DAC has a concern about the proposal. The cause for concern is set out in theNotification so that the Chancellor can take the view of the DAC into account.
  • A Notification of Advice rejecting the proposal – you are still able to proceed with your application for a faculty but the Chancellor will take into consideration the view of the DAC

Dealing with opposition

In the case of most faculty petitions there is no party opponent and a faculty can be granted by the Chancellor on consideration of the petition under rule 9.6(1) of the Faculty Jurisdiction Rules (FJR) of 2013. Where the Chancellor is minded not to grant the unopposed faculty, or where there is a party opponent, the matter is in most cases dealt with, not by holding a hearing, but under the written representations procedure contained in Part 13 of the FJR 2013. The procedure was introduced by the Faculty Jurisdiction Rules 1992 “to provide an alternative procedure in a suitable case where the issues are clear-cut”: Bentley para 34.


Other Faculty Forms & Checklists

Request for advice or preliminary discussion with the DAC

Form 5A Objection to faculty petition (to be sent to the Registrar)

Form 8A Completion certificate - signed off by your QI

Form 22 Application to appeal to the Chancellor


Save or Delete? A guide explaining what documents and records have to be kept by law and for how long.


Emergency Work

If work needs to be carried out urgently on the basis that there is a risk to health or safety, or the work is not covered by Lists A & B, please contact the DAC Office with as much information as possible. If appropriate, an Interim Order will be sought on your behalf from the Chancellor to allow the work to proceed with confirmatory paperwork to follow.


Temporary Changes

A temporary re-ordering licence may be granted by the Archdeacon to enable a church to experiment with minor changes for a period of up to fifteen months. To comply with a temporary re-order, it must be possible to return the church to exactly the same state as it was before the re-ordering with any removed items returned in good condition.   If the church decides to keep the reordered scheme a faculty application should be submitted no later than three months before the end of  the licence expiry date.


LEP Status

The Sharing of Church Buildings Act 1969 (SOCBA) makes special provision for the sharing of consecrated churches of the Church of England (Section 5). These remain subject to the Church of England Faculty Jurisdiction and to its system of quinquennial surveys. This applies to the church’s fabric and to movable contents belonging to the Church of England but not to movable contents belonging to a guest church. The Church in Wales has similar rules.

If the Sharing Agreement relates to the whole property, including car park, gardens etc., it should state clearly who is responsible for maintaining grounds outside the buildings. Remember a Sharing Agreement cannot include a graveyard.


The short blog from Law and Religion on the Risks of disregarding the faculty jurisdiction is well worth five minutes of your time as it  explains the value to churches of ecclesiastical exemptions and why it needs to be fully embraced.