It is vital that we have robust policies in place for recruitment, suitability checking and continued vigilance throughout the period of service.
Policy and procedure
The Church of England website details guidance on Safer Recruitment and People Management. The guidance combines audio and video with all the text-based guidance.
Summary of what’s included in this guidance
- Safer Recruitment and People Management Change Log
- Scope of the Safer Recruitment and People Management Guidance
- Safer Recruitment and People Management FAQs
- Safer Recruitment and People Management Assessment Tool
- Section 1 – Responsibilities
- Section 2 – Role Descriptions and Person Specifications
- Section 3 – Advertising a Role
- Section 4 – Application Process
- Section 5 – Confidential Declarations
- Section 6 – Shortlisting Applicants
- Section 7 – Interviews and Assessment
- Section 8 – Pre-appointment Checks
- Section 9 – Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- Section 10 – Criminal Records
- Section 11 – Appointment
- Section 12 – Induction
- Section 13 – Probationary/Settling in Period
- Section 14 – Ongoing Support, Accountability, Oversight and Supervision
- Section 15 – Learning and Development
- Section 16 – Record Keeping
Safeguarding Roles and Responsibilities
Some important roles are covered in this Church of England document outlining safeguarding responsibilities for: the Incumbent & the PCC, Churchwardens, Parish Safeguarding Officer (including a model role description), Parish DBS Administrator. There is also a model safeguarding provision that can be attached to any church premises hire agreement.
As an employer of workers and volunteers, we can check someone’s criminal record by ensuring they complete a Disclosure and Barring (DBS) check prior to starting a role. Whilst essential, this, however, is only a small part of safer recruitment and people management.
Register with thirtyone:eight for all your DBS needs and get their help and support every step of the way. An individual can then apply for a DBS check using your church’s DBS reference and access code.