Here to help
Safeguarding Training Officer
This takes place through the Church of England National Safeguarding Training Portal covering the following:
- Basic Awareness – 60-90mins – For everyone within Church communities who need to have a basic awareness of safeguarding issues.
- Foundations – 60-90mins – For those who hold positions of responsibility for the safeguarding of others within church settings.
- Raising Awareness of Domestic Abuse – 90-120mins – A specialist course exploring the nature and dynamics of domestic abuse, with a focus on church settings. Required for anyone holding the Bishop’s Licence, commission, authorisation or PTO, Spiritual Directors, Bishops Visitors, Pastoral Visitors and Safeguarding Officers. This training should be refreshed every 3 years.
- Safer Recruitment and People Management – 90-120mins – For all those involved in the recruitment, selection and management of staff or volunteers.
- Modern Slavery Training – 60-90mins – This course, from the Clewer Initiative, aims to provide a general understanding of modern slavery and human trafficking, and how you can recognise & respond to concerns relating to it.
Other pathways by invitation include:
- Leadership – For all those who are in positions of safeguarding leadership within church settings.
- Senior Leadership – A course for senior leaders that aims to connect the Church’s mission and theological foundations with safeguarding principles.
Leadership training has changed and will now consist of multiple sessions and work to be completed between the sessions.
Pre-requisite to attending a leadership course: Complete the online Basic Awareness and Foundation online modules.
All events are 6.00pm to 7.30pm
- Tue 2 May & 16 May
- Tue 9 May & 23 May
- Tue 30 May & 13 June
- Wed 31 May & 14 June
- Mon 5 June & 19 June
- Tue 6 June & 20 June
- Mon 26 June & 10 July
- Tues 27 June & 11 July
- Mon 3 July & 17 July
- Tue 4 July & 18 July
- Mon 24 July & 7 August
- Tue 25 July & 8 August
- Mon 14 August & 28 August
- Tue 15 August & 29 August
Leadership Training (PTO-specific) – new national virtual module
Required for people with Permission to Officiate (PTO) only, if you also have another leadership role within the Church of England please contact our administrator.
- Thu 18 May 9.00am to 12.00pm (Zoom)
- Wed 28 June 1.00pm to 4.00pm (Zoom)
- Wed 16 August 9.00am to 12.00noon (Zoom)
PTO Onsite Courses
Onsite PTO courses 9.30am to 3.00pm, for those who do not use computers. (Course includes the Basic, Foundation and PTO Leadership courses over 5½ hrs including breaks and buffet lunch.
- 20 July St Mary Magdalene Church, Campsall, Doncaster
- 19 October St John’s Church Ranmoor Parish Centre Room 1
Online Training Sessions – via Zoom
Required for anyone who has safeguarding responsibilities or has contact in their church role with children, young people and/or vulnerable adults.
Prerequisite: Must have completed the eLearning Basic safeguarding training.
(Please note there are a few dates available for onsite Foundation courses each month, in 2023, bookings need to be a minimum of 12 people and dates will be filled on a first come first serve basis)
- Wed 19 April 6.00pm to 9.00pm (Zoom)
- Mon 15 May 6pm to 9.00pm (Zoom)
- Thu 8 June 9am to 12noon (Zoom)
- Thu 6 July 9.00am to 12.00noon (Zoom)
- Wed 9 August 1.00pm to 4.00pm (Zoom)
Parish Safeguarding Officer Training
Basic & Foundation Train the Trainer (for PSOs) – Online via Zoom
- Thu 13 April 9.00am to 11.00am (Zoom)
- Wed 24 May 6.00pm to 8.00pm (Zoom)
- Mon 12 June 1.00pm to 3.00pm (Zoom)
- Thu 27 July 9.00am – 12.00noon (Zoom)
- Thu 10 August 9.00am to 11.00am (Zoom)
Parish Safeguarding Officer Induction – Online via Zoom
- Wed 12 April 6.00pm to 9.00pm (Zoom
- Thu 4 May 9.00am to 12.00pm (Zoom)
- Wed 7 June 1.00pm to 4.00pm (Zoom)
- Wed 19 July 1.00pm to 4.00pm (Zoom)
- Thu 17 August 9.00am to 12.00noon (Zoom)
Focal Ministry ONLY Training – Online via Zoom
Delivered by the Diocesan Safeguarding Trainer & Focal Director (on Zoom)
Required for anyone who is training to become a Focal Minister
- Wed 3 May & 10 May 7.00pm to 8.30pm
- Wed 6 September & 20 September 7.00pm to 8.30pm
- Wed 8 November & 22 November 7.00pm to 8.30pm
Raising Awareness of Domestic Violence and Abuse Training
Please note: This training is now available online and can be accessed at any time – see above.
Onsite Training via Zoom events with a trainer available for those who would prefer to train with others and to be able to ask questions and discuss.
- Tue 11 April 6.00pm to 9.00pm (Zoom)
- Thu 25 May 9.00am to 12.00pm (Zoom)
- Thu 15 June 9.00am to 12.00pm (Zoom)
- Wed 5 July 1.00pm to 4.00pm (Zoom)
- Wed 30 August 9.00am to 12.00pm (Zoom)
Parish Safeguarding Training Needs Analysis
Once a year we will send churches a spreadsheet of those who have completed training within your parish/benefice, showing names and dates of safeguarding training completed to date. This is to support you to complete a Parish Training Needs Analysis and to send back to Deborah Corker-Vaughan the completed form as per your requirement following the House of Bishops’ Safeguarding Training and Development Guidance.