Welcome to the DAC
The Sheffield DAC helps parishes maintain and develop their buildings as places of hope, opportunity, sociability and life-changing experience.
The Sheffield Diocesan Advisory Committee aims:
- To ensure church buildings are maintained to the best possible standard
- To promote due regard for faculty jurisdiction so that churches retain control of their buildings
- To advise on the architecture, archaeology, art and history of places of worship to the diocesan chancellor, the archdeacons and parishes.
- Provide practical advice and encouragement to help congregations make strategic, evidence-based and sustainable changes to their buildings
- To invigorate and support worshipping congregations by exploring new ways of engaging with local communities
- To encourage and assist churches to discover, celebrate and share the heritage of their building and parish.
- To employ heritage as a means of fostering educational opportunities, widening horizons and raising skills within the local community.
- To help churches create a welcoming, stimulating and hospitable heart for their parishes seven days a week.
- To ensure all works are carried out to the best possible standard
- To foster the role of church buildings as positive and valued assets in cultivating and supporting the ever-changing social, cultural and spiritual needs of their parishes
- To preserve heritage and make church buildings fit for the liturgies, uses and technologies of the twenty-first century.
The DAC is keen to support carefully developed plans from churches who are striving to discern how best their building can serve their congregation and community.
Churches are encouraged to engage with the DAC at the earliest stage of their thinking to help find solutions that are feasible, achievable and sustainable.
Please plan ahead and allow sufficient time for your application to be considered and completed well in advance of any anticipated starting date for the works.
DAC Secretary: Dr Julie Banham Tel: 01709 309121
DAC Admin Officer: Miss Julia Alder Tel: 01709 309133
Historic Churches Support Officer: Katie Steele 01709 309172
Church House Reception: Tel: 01709 309100
Diocesan Registrar: Mr Andrew Vidler, Tel: 0114 2666660 Sheffield Diocesan Registry, No 1 Velocity, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield S1 4BY