Welcome to the DAC
The Sheffield DAC helps parishes maintain their buildings as
places of hope, opportunity, sociability and life-changing experience.
NEW 2017 TOUR - LIMITED PLACES AVAILABLE
NOT JUST SUNDAYS: CHURCH BUILDINGS FOR EVERYDAY USE
Following last year’s successful tour of reordered churches, the DAC is arranging another event where themes will focus on heritage, community use, and attracting visitors.
Many people will readily visit a church if they know they will be welcomed, hospitality is available and they can explore and learn about the building, its people and their shared history in their own time.
Churches are ‘thin’ places between heaven and earth where people can pause and be renewed. Their distinctive architecture and stories reveal how our forebears understood the world and offer a shared sense of belonging, pride and identity to the communities they serve. They can equally inspire, confound, challenge and surprise whilst offering hospitable and welcoming places for local groups and tourists alike. Achieving a balance between these different aspects requires careful thought and planning.
The churches in this year’s tour have been selected to show how offering community resources, rediscovering lost or little known stories, and sharing their heritage has helped bring new life and value to both church and community.
Four Nottinghamshire churches will be visited each with its own distinct story and community. They attract visitors and volunteers from the parish and farther afield. By carefully exploring the history of their church, location and people each has devised ways of making their building more accessible, useable, approachable and sustainable. Each will offer you plenty to consider when looking at how your church might use heritage to engage with new audiences and friends.
DATE: Tuesday September 5th
DEPART: Church House Effingham St Rotherham @ 09.00
RETURN: Church House Effingham St Rotherham @ 18.00
COST: £15.00 per person, maximum of 3 people per church
LUNCH: Included, please state any dietary requirements
ITINERARY: Bilborough St Martin, Hucknall St Mary Magdalene, Southwell Minster, South Scarle St Helena
Photography permitted where stated
Information packs to follow
The Sheffield Diocesan Advisory Committee aims:
- To ensure church buildings are maintained to the best possible standard
- To promote due regard for faculty jurisdiction so that churches retain control of their buildings
- To advise on the architecture, archaeology, art and history of places of worship to the diocesan chancellor, the archdeacons and parishes.
- Provide practical advice and encouragement to help congregations make strategic, evidence-based and sustainable changes to their buildings
- To invigorate and support worshipping congregations by exploring new ways of engaging with local communities
- To encourage and assist churches to discover, celebrate and share the heritage of their building and parish.
- To employ heritage as a means of fostering educational opportunities, widening horizons and raising skills within the local community.
- To help churches create a welcoming, stimulating and hospitable heart for their parishes seven days a week.
- To ensure all works are carried out to the best possible standard
- To foster the role of church buildings as positive and valued assets in cultivating and supporting the ever-changing social, cultural and spiritual needs of their parishes
- To preserve heritage and make church buildings fit for the liturgies, uses and technologies of the twenty-first century.
The DAC is keen to support carefully developed plans from churches who are striving to discern how best their building can serve their congregation and community.
Churches are encouraged to engage with the DAC at the earliest stage of their thinking to help find solutions that are feasible, achievable and sustainable.
Please plan ahead and allow sufficient time for your application to be considered and completed well in advance of any anticipated starting date for the works.
DAC Secretary: Dr Julie Banham Tel: 01709 309121
DAC Admin Officer: Miss Julia Alder Tel: 01709 309133
Church House Reception: Tel: 01709 309100
Diocesan Registrar: Mr Andrew Vidler, Tel: 0114 2666660 Sheffield Diocesan Registry, No 1 Velocity, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield S1 4BY