Here to help
Bishop of Doncaster
The Church plays a vital part in education across the region. The Education Department supports and resources Church schools within the Diocese of Sheffield.
It also provides support for clergy and local authorities and provides events and support for community schools.
The Diocese of Sheffield Board of Education (DBE) is committed to the development of effective collaboration with, and between, our Church Schools; to the celebration of the excellent work that has been, and will be, carried out in our Church Schools; and to the supporting and enrichment of Church Schools’ distinctive offering of teaching and learning within a Christian context.
The Diocese has five areas of mission in relation to schools:
- Cultivation of Christian distinctiveness in the ethos and practice of our schools
- Securing of excellence for all children, with schools meeting and, in time, exceeding, core expectations
- Strong leadership and capacity to improve within our service
- Networking leading to excellence through the sharing of school-to-school development across the Diocese
- Offer of service beyond the Diocese through schools affiliating and drawing upon our provision, in the wider community
This translates into four expectations in all schools:
- Distinctively Christian ethos
- Attaining floor targets in all three measures
- Good or outstanding teaching
- Leadership, with vision, that delivers.
If you have any questions or need to talk something through we invite you to get in touch.
The DBE committee is chaired by Sophie Jelley, Bishop of Doncaster and made up of the following members:
- Bishop Sophie (Chair)
- Huw Thomas (Diocesan Director of Education) (Ex-officio)
- Katie Bell (Diocesan Secretary and CEO of the DBF) (Ex-officio)
- Alan Richards
- Angela Knowles
- Paul Beckett
- Casey Strine
- Derek Grover
- Fiona Walton
- Fr Stephen Edmonds
- Antoinette Drinkhill
- Eleanor Robertshaw
- Lisa McCalla