Safeguarding Training Information & Dates
The National safeguarding Team has been working on the development of online training programmes and has now launched the first safeguarding course available online. The C0 course is a basic awareness safeguarding programme recommended for anyone with a role in church. It is an introduction to what safeguarding means and the different types of abuse that children or adults can be at risk of. The course is not intended to replace face-to-face classroom training being provided by the diocesan safeguarding team but is useful, as a starter, for anyone who hasn’t done safeguarding training, or has a gap of 3 years or more since doing training.
If you have leadership role or a role working with vulnerable groups (children or adults) you will need to attend another level/s of safeguarding training relevant to your role. For some roles that are not eligible for a DBS (such as the caretaker, servers or welcomers), the C0 is sufficient.
Full instructions on how to access the C0 are available here:
If you have other questions or would like to discuss the C0, please contact Chris Herbert, the Diocesan Safeguarding Trainer on 01709 309152 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Safeguarding team is rolling out a programme of safeguarding training that will be a mix of regular safeguarding and specialist modules (some of which are still to be developed by the National Safeguarding Team). The following sessions are currently being offered:
C1 Training, for anyone who has safeguarding responsibilities or who has contact with children, young people and/or adults who may be vulnerable.
- Tuesday 16th January 2018 6pm to 9pm - St Francis of Assisi, West Bessacarr DN4 7JA
Thursday 18th January 2018 1pm to 4pm - St Luke's LEP, Lodge Moor S10 4LP (not suitable for those with mobility problems)- cancelled
- Tuesday 23rd January 2018 6pm to 9pm - All Saints Church, Woodlands DN6 7RS
- Wednesday 24th January 2018 1pm to 4pm - St Mary's Church, Stainforth DN7 5AQ
- Thursday 1st February 2018 1pm to 4pm - St Paul's Church, Pilley S75 3AE
- Tuesday 6th February 2018 10am to 1pm - St John the Baptist, Owlerton S6 2FU
- Tuesday 6th February 2018 6pm to 9pm - Christ Church Stannington - Fully Booked
- Saturday 10th February 2018 9am to 12noon - St John's Church, Goole DN14 5BA
- Tuesday 13th February 2018 6pm to 9pm - St Mary the Virgin, Ecclesfield S35 9XY
- Thursday 22nd February 2018 6pm to 9pm - venue to be confirmed
- Saturday 24th February 2018 9am to 1pm - Christ Church, Brampton Bierlow S63 6RG
C2 Training, Safeguarding Leadership Training
Tuesday 30th January 2018 10am to 2:30pm - Church House, Rotherham S65 1BL - specifically tailored for Churchwardens and Parish Safeguarding Officers from parishes that are currently in interregnum.
Tuesday 20th February 2018 6pm to 9pm - All Saints Church, Woodlands DN6 7RS
C3 Training, required for those holding a license, commission, authorisation, permission to officiate from a Bishop - Ordained and Lay
- Wednesday 10th January 2018 9:30am to 4:30pm - The Hilton Room, Sheffield Cathedral - Fully Booked
- Thursday 22nd March 2018 9:30am to 4:30pm - Wadsley Church, Wadsley S6 4BB
- Tuesday 10th April 2018 9:30am to 4:30pm - venue TBC
C4 Training, Mandatory training for senior staff (invitation email sent to delegates by Sue Lamprell on 31st August 2017)
- Wednesday 31st January 2018 9:30am to 4:30pm - St Peter's Church, Warmsworth DN4 0TW
S1 Training, safer Recruitment training for Safeguarding Children Officers, Safe Church Representatives, CCPAS Lead Recruiters and CCPAS Additional Recruiters
- Wednesday 7th February 2018 6pm to 9pm - St Alban's House, Darnall S9 5AY
- Wednesday 28th February 2018 1pm to 5pm - Christ Church, Fulwood S10 3RT
- Tuesday 13th March 2018 6:30pm to 9:30pm - St Thomas Church, Kilnhurst S64 5TX
To book a place on any of these events please complete the booking form, and return to Sue Lamprell, Diocesan Safeguarding & DBS Administrator via email at email@example.com or by post to Church House, 95-99 Effingham Street, Rotherham S65 1BL. Alternatively, you can book a place by phoning Sue on 01709 309151.
In case there is a need to cancel an event through unforeseen circumstances, such as adverse weather conditions e.g. snow/flooding etc. or illness of the trainer, attendees will be contacted, using the details provided on their booking form, a minimum of 2 hrs before the event.
If you would like to offer your church/church hall as a venue for one of our events please complete a venue booking form in full and return to Sue Lamprell at the address above.