Some events cancelled at Whirlow Spirituality Centre
22nd March 2018
Planned Holy Week and April events have been cancelled at Whirlow Spirituality Centre because works on site will take longer than expected.
This decision has been made in order to prioritise the comfort and safety of visitors. It is disappointing for the staff and community of Whirlow – who look forward to welcoming people back to the Chapel of the Holy Spirit when it is renewed and improved.
Whirlow should become fully accessible again during April: events scheduled for that month have been cancelled or relocated. Should an earlier return become feasible, staff will circulate news as appropriate.
Chaplain Joy Adams says: “It is hard to miss Holy Week at Whirlow and to spend extended time away from the chapel – it is making for an interesting Lent.
“This period has shown how gracious are our friends in the face of change and given us opportunity to enjoy hospitality from neighbours at All Saints and St Gabriel’s churches. We look forward to seeing the newly refurbished and improved Chapel and facilities.”
Building work is going well but taking time. New cupboards in the foyer have been installed and look good. Weather has affected some aspects, including deliveries. Electrical work for new lighting and AV equipment in the chapel has proved more complex than expected and demolition work around the kitchen and toilets area required more time and effort.
Here is a full list of the changes as confirmed.
- Tuesday Reflective Communion services will be at All Saints church until April 30 EXCEPT for on March 27th when it will be cancelled. 0945 – 1030
- Sunday Space To Be will be at St Gabriel’s church until April 29 EXCEPT for on Mar 11 and April 1 when it will be cancelled. 0830 – 0915
- Sunday Reflective Communion and Reflective Worship services have been cancelled until May
- Praying Without Words will be at All Saints church on Mar 15 and April 19. 1930 - 2100
- All Impossible Tales will be in All Saints church halls (Room 1). March 9, 16, 23 & 30. 1230 – 1330
- We Who Sing, Pray Twice will be at St Gabriel’s church on Mar 14. 1930 - 2130
- the Enneagram workshop on Mar 17 has been postponed to Jun 9
- Simple Quiet Days on Mar 20 and April 17 have been cancelled.
Joy, Anna and Lesa will continue to work throughout this period but may not be office-based. Phone messages will be picked up only periodically so it may be better to send an email if a prompt response is required.
News of a return to Whirlow will be issued as soon as possible. The programme for May onwards is listed on the website for all bookings and information.