The national church
Safeguarding - Church of England National Policy & Practice Guidance
Please find below the links to the current national safeguarding policy and practice guidance. Please note that some are subject to review.
On the Church of England website you will find a section on Safeguarding which when you click will take you to specific information pages
You can click on the link to take you directly to the latest national policy and practice guidance page
The Church of England has agreed the following:
- Promoting a Safer Church (2017) - the Church of England’s Safeguarding Policy for children, young people and vulnerable adults
NB The Church of England National Safeguarding Team has now combined the children and young people's policies and the vulnerable adults policies as a single safeguarding policy. Practice Guidance to help implement this policy is due for approval in spring/summer 2017 and will be distributed then.
- Responding Well to Domestic Abuse (Policy and Practice Guidance March 2017)
- Responding to, assessing and managing safeguarding concerns or allegations against church officers (2017)
- Risk Assessment for Individuals who may Pose Risk to Children or Adults (2015)
- Safer Recruitment (2015)
- Safeguarding in Religious Communities (2015)
- Safeguarding Records Retention (2016)
- Key Roles and Responsibilities of Church Office Holders and Bodies Practice Guidance (2017)
Joint Practice Guidance with The Methodist Church:
- Safeguarding Records: Joint Practice Guidance for the Church of England and the Methodist Church (2015)
- Safeguarding Guidance for Single Congregation Local Ecumenical Partnerships (2015)
Safeguarding and Clergy Discipline Measure
The Safeguarding and Clergy Discipline Measure 2016 (‘the Measure’) received the Royal Assent in March 2016. Amending Canon No. 34 (‘the Amending Canon’) was enacted by the General Synod in February 2016. The provisions of the Measure and the Amending Canon have a significant impact in relation to safeguarding and have been brought into force in stages. The purpose of the note is to provide an update on that process.