A Churchwarden is a lay official in a parish church of the Anglican Communion (Church of England, Anglican Church or Episcopal Church). Holders of these positions are leading members of the parish board, which is usually called a Vestry, Parish Council, or Parochial Church Council (PCC). The role of Churchwarden is extremely varied but generally involves management, maintenance, and ministry. The rights and responsibilities of Churchwardens are laid down in Church Law. And as with most roles within a parish, this is a voluntary (unpaid) position.
Churchwardens must be baptized, regular communicants who are resident in the parish or on the Electoral Roll. They need not be members of the congregation of the parish church in a parish with more than one church. In addition, any Churchwarden:
- Should be over 21 (minimum age may vary, between 18 to 21)
- Should consent to being appointed
- Should have been confirmed, and should have received communion at least three times in the previous year. A person who is ready to be confirmed and wants to be confirmed also qualifies
Resources for Churchwardens
Some helpful links and advice on caring for your church building and complying with the growing body of legislation which Churchwardens must know about:
Churchcare website - packed full of useful guidance on caring for your church building and churchyard and helpful ideas for developing their potential
- Events – an overview of what parishes need to consider when they are planning events
- Community Outreach – a straightforward guide to insurance and risk management issues that can arise with outreach projects such as foodbanks
- People on church premises – a short review of the key issues that need to be addressed to keep people safe while on church premises
- Church property – advice on what PCCs can do to reduce the risk of loss or damage to churches and their contents
Parish Resources (supporting stewardship in the local church) useful in particular for guides to funding and PCC as a charity.
Entertainment and Alcohol Licensing - a useful guide from St Edmundsbury and Ipswich Diocese.
Church security - National Churchwatch provide a guide to all aspects of safety and security
Advice on organising special events (with particular regard to licensing regulations and Local Authority guidelines) from the Churches Legislation Advisory Service.
Archdeacons Visitation News - important news for churchwardens in the diocese produced twice a year from Ecclsiastical.
Articles of Enquiry
Below, you can download the Articles of Enquiry for 2017 and complete them electronically. Completed forms can be returned by email to email@example.com.